The common backswimmer also known as water boatman are widespread in United Kingdom and throughout North America. This is one of the insects that start with alphabet B. Below are the fast facts.
- Type: Insect
- Scientific name: Notonectidae
- Higher classification: Nepomorpha
- Conservation status: Least Concern
- Size: 5 – 15 mm
- Average life span: 1 year
- Incubation period: Short
- Diet: Carnivore
- Preys: Aquatic insects, small fish, tadpoles
- Habitat: Lakes, ponds, marshes, still freshwater
These insects swim upside down in ponds, lakes and pools. They can bite so take care. Other common names are water bees and water wasps. Male insects make a sound under water to attract females. There are about 400 species of this insect.