The cachalot is commonly called as sperm whale. It is the largest toothed whale and largest toothed predator. It is the second deepest diving mammal. It is one of the fishes that start with alphabet C. Below are the fast facts.
- Type: Fish
- Scientific name: Physeter macrocephalus
- Conservation status: Vulnerable
- Length: Up to 16 meters
- Weight: Up to 41,000 kg
- Average life span: 70 years
- Gestation period: 14 – 16 months
- Population: Unknown
- Diet: Carnivore
- Preys: Fishes, Squids
- Predators: Killer whale, Pilot whale; target female and calf; mature males do not have any non-human predator
- Habitat: Pacific Islands Region
Sperm whale has the largest brain in the world; weighting on average about 7.8 kilograms. Its lower jaw is narrow. It has 18 to 26 teeth each side of the jaw. The average weight of a tooth is 1 kilogram. The females are 50 to 70 percent smaller than males. Female give birth to 1 calf each 4 to 20 years. Male do not take care of young’s. Females take care of their young up to 10 years. These whales are now vulnerable.
Detailed information can be found from WikiPedia