The echeneidae is a family of fishes. It contains 11 species. It commonly refers to the remora fish. It is also sometimes called as suckerfish, suck fish, shark sucker and shark pilot. It is one of the fishes that start with alphabet E. Below are the fast facts.
- Type: Fish
- Higher Classification: Percoidea
- Conservation Status: Least concern
- Weight: Up to 1.1 kg
- Length: 30 – 90 cm; average 40 cm
- Number of eggs laid: Unknown
- Incubation/Gestation Period: Unknown
- Average life span: Unknown
- Diet: Carnivore
- Preys: Plankton, Copepod
- Predators: Fish
- Habitat: Western Mediterranean, Atlantic, North Sea
Remora has modified dorsal fin. This has turned in to an oval sucking disk. It does not have swimming blades. It uses its sucking disk to attach itself to the body of other marine animals. It eats the leftover of its host. It provides benefit to the host animal by cleaning the skin. The word remora is a Latin word. It means holding back or delay.
Detailed information can be found from WikiPedia